Saturday, November 28, 2015

The Road Ends


Guys. It is time to say that our blog post is coming to an end. However, I want to leave you guys, the followers, what I learned about my topic and want to leave some thoughts for the followers. Before doing this blog, I was with the many people who were arguing that comic books lacked diversity in comics and comic book based movies. I was ignorant at the time and because of this blog topic I have learned so much. I was able to look at the views of those who were against the change in comics and comic book based movies. It’s not because they are racist, but because the people who have been reading comic books pre-2000 grew up with comic characters who were predominantly white. There are reasons as to why comic characters were predominantly white. I learned that comic books used the same formula of color to represent the good guys as light skinned and bad guys as a darker color. This is heavily seen in World War 2 comics. Because of this, comic book characters post World War Two have been predominantly white. The use of color makes the reader associate the Superhero as the good guy for that white, using Molley Bang’s color symbolism, gives the reader the sense of safety. Researching this topic was very fun and I learned a lot. I can see both sides of the diversity issue in comics.

            As the blog comes to a close, I want to leave you guys a thought. The views traditional comic book readers have for modern comics and views that people that want more diversity will affect comic books in the future. There might be more diversity in comic books and comic book based movies or there will be more predominantly white characters. It isn’t racist that they are predominantly white. You have to see why it isn’t by researching the topic. Goodbye friends. J

No comments:

Post a Comment