Friday, October 23, 2015

I must confess....

Well, hello there. Nice of you to join me today where I might have something to confess. I had some time to think about it and honestly, I do not know where to start but I can tell you it started with an interview that I recently made. In my last blog post, I interviewed my room mate who happened to be a comic book fanatic. His father had a very large collection and he loved everything about them. I asked him "do you ever feel like there is not enough representation of your race in comics" and he told me that it did not matter to him, he said the stories and comic book action was rich enough for him to continue reading them. In fact he said he had never paid attention to it until I brought it up.

A few weeks before conducting the interview I did happen to read a book named "The Shadow Hero" by Yang and Liew. I've talked about this book all through my English class and the truth is I fell in love with it. The story line is rich and genuine and it had to do a lot with the race of the superhero. He was an Asian American raised by his father to be a calm young man. Little did his family know he was accompanied by an ancient spirit that fulfilled a promise in exchange for a body to live with. The character was Asian and there was a tiger, dragon, turtle spirit. So I mean naturally it made sense, you know he grew up poor like most minorities. So, it made sense with everything I've ever written in this blog. Race is a key factor and adding a spin to it would not be as easy as anyone would say. So, I asked him about the book after the interview. He said he felt in different, that if it had a good story line and action it was worthy of reading. Take into account my room mate is Asian. So I began to ask myself who in reality makes up these comments about the injustice of comics. The more I think about, I come to realize that maybe it's just the media. Everyone does hear about it but no one seems to have the same shared opinion. I honestly began to think that people who make these comments aren't comic book readers to start with and are just people that want to find something to criticize. That fueled my energy for my whole blog. I was tired of White people being put down for having pride or expressing themselves in their literature. Yeah, they might have done things wrong at some points but we shouldn't be so hard on them. But after a couple of these recent events I've thought about it and I'm not saying I don't have the same energy fueling but at first I thought it was people who felt really indifferent and that they were strong comic book fans that felt left out and in different. But in reality I  from what I have seen and realized, comic book fans love the book and recognize their flaws but love the story for what it is and not for what it could be. They love to keep the characters the way they are because those are the charchters they grew up to love while they were innocent and just loved a good story, because bottom line race really is not an issue, people just want good literature. The factor that race plays is one that leans towards a new scent, something different but pleasing, something that can change the play of the game but not the rules. Because a comic book with diverse characters add interesting stories and allusions but at the end they still have a hero and a villain. You might have thought this from the start, but I've come to learn this now. I won't stop saying what I believe but I must confess my foundation has been shaken a bit. I will just have to continue observing and will continue picking up new evidence as a go along but I wonder what you think about the situation, is there really an issue or it's all made up because there is something out there that is being said about our comic books today. What it is, that's the really question.

No comments:

Post a Comment